The History of the rise of this Company from a small, unnoticed
beginning to its present (1916) commanding position in the great
world of business is, indeed, "A Record of Progress."
A little over six years ago (1910), Mr. William B. Hurlburt, after
having spent more than fifteen years in the mechanical and selling
ends of the automobile business, decided that in the manufacture
of a motor truck of the very highest type, built regardless of money
spent, lay both in the greatest gain for his life's work. He began
a consistent and conscientious study of the results achieved up
to that time by the truck makers, both of this country and of Europe.
He became thoroughly acquainted with what had been accomplished
in America and then made two trips to study European methods in
the manufacture of motor trucks of every type and class.
It was during his sojourn in European countries that Mr. Hurlburt
became convinced of the high efficiency of the silent, long lived
worm and gear.
Upon his return to America, the Motor Truck Company, which bears
his name, was founded, and took its place as a pioneer in the manufacture
of worm drive motor trucks.
The Hurlburt Motor Truck Company began business a little over four
years ago (1916) with small capitol. Few orders were taken during
the first year. These vehicles were turned out practically by hand
and after the order was received.
Little or no thought was given to the subject of profits. The building
of these trucks was carried out with the idea always in view of
giving to the purchaser the most mechanically perfect, heavy duty
vehicle that money, brains and years of experience could produce.
There gradually grew up in New York City, a feeling of great confidence
in the product and the service of the Hurlburt Motor truck Company.
The reputation gained during the first two years was of such high
character that orders began to come in with little or no selling
Gradually the size of the organization was increased and the services
of the highly-trained experts were obtained. The modest factory
at Fort George was quickly outgrown. (Fort George is located on
the upper east side of Manhattan)
The truck using public had awakened to the merits of a truly well
made vehicle, and the Hurlburt Company soon found itself in the
position of having more orders on their books than could be filled
from the plant that they then occupied.
Realizing that much of the product of the Hurlburt Motor Truck
Company was in the hands of the New York City Purchasers, and realizing
that many new orders for the Hurlburt trucks would be derived from
this field, there was selected, after thorough and careful examination,
the large plant formerly occupied by the J. L. Mott Iron Works,
situated on the Harlem River and Third Ave, New York City.
Here the Company has many times the space formally occupied, with
railroad and water transportation at its very door, and with every
possible facility for taking care of the trade that has come to
it as a result of its efforts in placing into the hands of every
purchaser a truck that is, as near as humanly possible, mechanically
While only four months into the year (1916), the Company allready
has unfilled orders on its books greater in number than its total
sales for the entire year of 1915.
Sales in 1914 showed an increase over the year 1913 of more than
Sales in 1915 showed an increase over the year 1914 of more than